Land Development Services Division

Land Development Services Division is within the Public Works Agency's Engineering Services Department. The permits we issue are for grading and floodplain development. We provide engineering reviews and inspection services for new subdivision and single-lot improvements.

We would be glad to answer your land development questions in person, by phone, or by email regarding grading, local geology, development within a FEMA designated floodplain, site work improvements, and the permit fees associated with those endeavors. Our Public Works Permit Counter, located in the Hall of Administration at the top of the escalator, is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. A helpful phone tree for the Division is available at 805- 654-2030. Specific email questions can be directed to individuals listed on this page.

Our part in the discretionary permit process is to represent the Public Works Agency on engineering and geology matters that pertain to:

  • Fault Rupture Hazard

  • Ground Shaking Hazard

  • Liquefaction Hazards

  • Seiche and Tsunami Hazards

  • Landslides/Mudflow Hazards

  • Expansive Soils Hazards

  • Subsidence Hazard

  • Hydraulic Hazards - Non FEMA

  • Hydraulic Hazards - FEMA (Discretionary Permit Review, contact Shweta Chervu at (805) 654-2454, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

To research geologic hazards and other Land Use Information, use PWA GIS Viewer.

To learn more about the Land Development Services Division, please visit our main website by clicking here Home.


LDSF-01 Floodplain Applicationpdf icon
Floodplain Development Permit applications are required by the Land Development Services Division of the Public Works Agency for habitable and non-habitable structure construction in a FEMA designated 1% annual chance floodplain.

VCPWA Grading Cover Sheet PDF Download pdf icon CAD Download cad icon
The Grading Plan Cover Sheet must be included in all Grading Plan sets except R&R Grading Permits.

VCPWA Grading Plan Titleblock PDF Download pdf icon CAD Download Grading Title Block cad icon
The grading plan titleblock needs to be used on all sheets. Spaces are dedicated for change orders, county drawing numbers,

Development Grading Permit Application Packetpdf icon
The Grading Permit Application Package contains an application form, fee schedule, instructions, and a checklist for use in applying for a grading permit.

Public Works Questionnaire pdf icon A completed questionnaire must accompany all projects to be reviewed by Land Development Services Division.

LDS R&R Grading Permit Application Packet  pdf icon
This package contains an application form, fee schedule, instructions, and a checklist for use in applying for a remove and compact grading permit for a Building & Safety Division approved foundation.

LDS-02 Grading Plan check and Processing Agreement pdf icon

LDS-03 Authorization of Agent form pdf icon Document authorizes the owners representative to manage the plancheck process.

LDS-04 Acknowledgement of Employment of Registered Engineering & Technical Consultants pdf icon

LDS-05 Grading Plan Check Checklist pdf icon
This checklist is used by the staff engineer during review of grading and drainage plans for subdivision and land use entitlements.

DS-143 Grading Inspection Procedure/Rough-Grade Clearance/Final Grading Clearance pdf icon
This document establishes the responsibilities of the land developer during grading construction and requirements that must be met before the granting of rough grading and final grading clearances.

LDS-08 Grading Inspection Cert (Rough Grading) (Includes R&R permits) pdf icon
This document is the certification requiring signatures from the soils engineer, Geologist, Civil Engineer, Owner and/or Grading Contractor.

LDS-09 Fine Grading Certification pdf icon
Grading Inspection Certificate to be completed prior to permit Close out.

Change Order Request Form
pdf icon
Form to be submitted with changes to plans during construction. List items that have changed since permit issuance

Complaint Form pdf icon
This form can be used to submit complaints. Please attach pictures that show the violation.

Stormwater Quality form(s):SW-1 pdf icon, SW-2 pdf icon, SW-HR pdf icon Select and complete stormwater forms applicable to the project.



Guidelines & Standards

  • Bond Book pdf icon
    The Bond Book defines the type of County-approved of securities that may be required as guarantees for future improvements and establishes staff procedures for handling these securities.

  • Land Development Manual pdf icon
    The Ventura County Land Development Manual contains the Public Works Agency's policies, procedures, and guidelines for processing land development projects in Ventura County.

  • Road Standards pdf icon
    The Ventura County Road Standards establishes County-approved standards for the construction of County roads and associated structures and signage.

  • Standard Land Development Specifications pdf icon
    The Ventura County Standard Land Development Specifications incorporates the Standard Specifications for Public Works Construction (The Greenbook) to apply to private development in Ventura County.

  • Wetland Project Permitting Guide pdf icon
    The Wetland Project Permitting Guide provides an overview of the permits required for construction activities in and around watercourses and wetlands.

  • 2022 Ventura County Building Code Appendix J pdf icon
    the 2022 Ventura County Building Code establishes minimum standards for the design and construction of structures. The Public Works Agency oversees the regulations controlling grading, site runoff, and erosion control as shown in Appendix J Grading.


Ventura County Building Code

2022 Ventura County Building Code Appendix J pdf icon
the 2022 Ventura County Building Code establishes minimum standards for the design and construction of structures. The Public Works Agency oversees the regulations controlling grading, site runoff and erosion control as shown in Appendix J Grading.

Ventura County Coastal Zoning Ordinance

Grading and brush removal in the Coastal Zone is regulated by Section 8175.5.17 of the Ventura County Coastal Zoning Ordinance pdf icon.

Ventura County Floodplain Management Ordinance (No. 4521)

New construction within a designated Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) floodplain is regulated by the Ventura County Floodplain Management Ordinance pdf icon and the 2022 Ventura County Building Code Appendix J pdf icon.


The Land Development Services Division adheres to all policies set forth by the Ventura County Building Code, Zoning Ordinances and Floodplain Management Ordinance as well as other State and local laws and regulations. Please review the Laws / Ordinances page for more information.


The information below list all of the applicable fees that the Public Works Agency's Land Development Services charges the applicant to review a discretionary land use project. Some or all of these fees may apply to your project based on the type of project being proposed. If you have any questions, please contact the Division.

Please note that all initial project review fees from the Public Works Agency (PWA), including the Land Development Services Division, are billed through the Resource Management Agency (RMA) and you will receive a single bill that lists all of the charges to your project. Fees are collected by the Planning Division with your discretionary permit application.



Q. Can the County of Ventura require a natural geologic hazard to be mitigated by the property owner(s)?

A. If the property has not been improved where the geologic hazard is located or entitled for development, the County does not have the power to order the owners of the parcels to do or not do any specific act as to natural conditions.

The County’s nuisance abatement ordinance defines public nuisances as conditions of real property that exist in violation of any of the laws, statutes and ordinances within the power of the County to enforce. (Ventura County Ord. Code, div. 13, §13050.)

As to the ability of the County to initiate a lawsuit under the general laws of the state, we are not aware of any grounds to bring a nuisance abatement action based solely on the existence of natural conditions on a parcel of land. (See Civ. Code, § 3479.)

While a landowner’s failure to exercise ordinary care with respect to dangerous natural conditions on his property might form the basis for tort liability (Lussier v. San Lorenzo Valley Water Dist. (1988) 206 Cal.App.3d 92), that does not give the County authority to coerce the property owner to take remedial action in advance of a storm or other event.

Moreover, if neighboring landowners believe that a nuisance abatement action is possible under such circumstances, they are free to bring their own public nuisance abatement actions. “[A]ny person whose property is injuriously affected or whose personal enjoyment is lessened by a nuisance as defined in the Civil Code may bring an action to enjoin such nuisance, whether it be a public or a private nuisance.” (47 Cal.Jur.3d (2015) Nuisances, § 63.)

The County’s policy with respect to hazardous geologic zones is to educate the residents about the hazardous conditions, and notify them of potentially dangerous weather conditions. If warranted, the County’s emergency agencies implement voluntary and/or mandatory evacuation orders to protect life and property.

Even if permitted by the landowner, it is the County’s policy not to make physical alterations to privately owned land to mitigate dangerous natural conditions. Especially with respect to areas with geologic hazards, it is not economically or practically feasible to make improvements sufficient to prevent all future adverse events. Aside from the economic issues associated with spending vast sums of taxpayer money to benefit a few, such actions would expose the County to tremendous potential liability. Persons harmed by future events would almost certainly claim that the County’s actions contributed to the future harm, or redirected the harm from one neighbor to another.

Local government simply does not have the powers or resources to effectively ensure that residents in or near a geologic hazard zone will never suffer damage due to the geologic hazard.


Q. My neighbor’s is moving a lot of dirt on their property. I am concerned that it is not legal. I would like to know if there is a permit, who can I check with to see if it is permitted?

A. If the amount of grading is significant, the contractor should be working under the provisions of a Ventura County Grading Permit. Please fill out a grading complaint form and provide picture of the disturbed area. If the amount of dirt is less than 50 Cubic Yards or meets the exemption criteria in the Ventura County Building Code Appendix J, the Contractor may be exempt from obtaining a grading permit. If you are unsure please contact Development Inspection Services.


Q. What is a Floodplain?

A. A floodplain is any land or area susceptible to flooding from creeks, ponds, lakes, or any other water body. Floodplains are mapped by FEMA to show areas potentially flooded by a 100-year storm (or a 1 percent chance of occurring every year) as well as areas flooded by a 500-year storm (or a 0.2 percent chance of occurring every year).

Q. Why are the floodplain maps changing?

A. Floodplain maps need to be updated on a regular basis as more land is developed, as additional flood protection facilities are built, and as more scientific information becomes available. Since technology has improved and methodologies have changed, it is possible to more accurately map the floodplain areas. Consequently, the floodplain maps are changing – and will continue to change in the future – as new improvements are made and development occurs.

Q. If I am not in the floodplain, will I be required to buy flood insurance?

A. We have been advised that mortgage lenders will require you to purchase flood insurance if your property is in a 100-year floodplain. If it is in a 500-year floodplain, you also may be required by your lender to purchase flood insurance. It is the lenders decision, flood insurance is available through your insurance agent. If you do not have federally-related financing (i.e., if you do not have a mortgage, loan, etc.) you are not required by federal regulations to have flood insurance – although it is available for you to purchase.

Q. Where do I purchase flood insurance?

A. Flood insurance is available through your insurance agent. The premiums are relatively consistent because they are set through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).

Q. How much flood insurance can I purchase and what are the yearly premiums?

A. The maximum flood insurance you can purchase for your property is $250,000. Insurance costs vary between $300 and $1,800 annually and are dependent upon a variety of factors; i.e., deductible, location, occupancy, type and age of structure(s). You may find it advantageous to purchase flood insurance 30 days prior to the date of a the new DFIRM takes effect. The DFIRM may become final as early as September 2006. Flood insurance for some properties may triple after the proposed maps are adopted. In some cases, purchasing insurance before the new maps are adopted may lock in lower rates.

Q. What is the County doing to help?

A. We will continue to construct drainage facilities and/or collaborate with local, state, and federal agencies to construct flood protection facilities in and around unincorporated properties within the floodplain. Construction of these types of facilities will remove properties from the floodplain.

Q. What do I do now?

A. If your property is in an unincorporated area of the County of Ventura, you may want to visit the Watershed Protection District’s website at to review proposed floodplain revision maps to determine if your property is, or will be, in a floodplain. You may also want to contact your insurance agent to discuss flood insurance coverage.


Grading and Drainage Soils and Geology

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Land Development Services
(805) 654-3027


This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Land Development Services
(805) 654-3027