The County Surveyor's Office is responsible for review and approval of maps, legal descriptions and exhibits which are required to be submitted by Professional Land Surveyors, or Professional Engineers authorized to practice land surveying.


  • Certificate of Compliance Application/Requirements/Reimbursement Agreement pdf icon 
    A Certificate of Compliance may be issued when a property is determined to be a single, discrete lot or parcel existing in compliance with the provisions of the Subdivision Map Act and local ordinances enacted pursuant thereto.

  • Certificate of Correction Reimbursement Agreement pdf icon
    A Certificate of Correction is used by a land surveyor to correct a recorded parcel map, tract map, or record of survey.

  • Certificate of Correction Form pdf icon
    This form is provided for use as a Certificate of Correction template for those who might find it helpful. The use of this specific form is not required.

  • Corner Record pdf icon
    This form is used by a land surveyor, in accordance with Business and Professions Code Sections 8765-8771, to reset a missing property corner or "tie out" survey monuments prior to, and "replace" them after destruction by construction.

  • Tract Map/Parcel Map Checklist pdf icon
    This is a checklist of fees and documents required for the initial submittal of a Tract Map or Parcel Map.

  • Issuance of Tract and Parcel Map Number (PW-66) pdf icon
    If a project requires a parcel map in the unincorporated territory of the county, or a tract map anywhere in the county, the owner uses this form to request a map number to be assigned and reserved for the project. For city parcel maps, contact that city's Public Works Department.


The County Surveyor's Office has provided a link to the following informational websites that may be helpful to you:

Guidelines & Standards



The Office of the County Surveyor adheres to all laws and ordinances set forth by the State's Subdivision Map Act, Ventura County Subdivision Ordinance, and other surveying and mapping standards. Please refer to the Laws/Ordinances above.


The Office of the County Surveyor collects fees and depositspdf icon for reviewing and processing subdivision maps, survey map and document examinations, and other services . Please contact the Office of the County Surveyor to determine which fees and deposits will apply to your project.


General Questions

How do I find a Land Surveyor?

To locate a land surveyor you can start by looking in your local telephone directory, searching the Internet, or contacting engineering and land surveying societies (see Resources, P. 21 of the Consumer Guide to Professional Engineers and Professional Land Surveyors pdf icon or California Land Surveyors Association, Find a Surveyor). The State Board website is a great source of information when researching California-licensed engineers or land surveyors in your city or county (however, like the County Surveyor, the Board is not able to provide recommendations or referrals). You can verify that the professional is currently and properly licensed; and, find out if there have been any complaints or disciplinary actions taken against the person's license (Please see Disclosure Policy, page 24 of the Consumer Guide.)

When interviewing land surveyors ask for local references on similar projects and compare qualifications and experience; also, ask if they have previous experience working with your local planning department, public works department, municipal utility district, or County Surveyor's Office.

Does the County Surveyor's Office perform surveys for the general public?

No, the County Surveyor's Office only performs surveys on County owned land, including County road and flood control channel rights-of-way.

Who do I call for information about the survey crew or vehicle in my neighborhood?

If it is a County survey vehicle or crew you may contact Joe DeChellis of the County Field Survey Section at (805) 654-2043.

Who do I call if I am on a construction site and realize that a survey monument is in danger of being disturbed or destroyed?

Please call Joe DeChellis of the County Field Survey Section at (805) 654-2043.

Can I get a copy of my Subdivision Map?

Copies of Tract and Parcel Maps are available at our Public Counter. The public counter contact information and office hours are shown below.

Do you have maps and other records available online?

Yes, Tract Maps (Miscellaneous Records), Parcel Maps, Records of Survey and Corner Records are now available for viewing and download through County View. Instructions for locating these records using County View are here pdf icon.

Can you give me information about all of the easements that cross my property?

No. If your property is a lot in a subdivision we can provide a copy of the recorded subdivision map which will show easements created by that map and other easements affecting the property at that time; however, there is no reason to assume that other easements have not been created since. A title company guarantee policy is the best source of disclosing things such as easements affecting a particular property.

How do I split my property?

A subdivision, also known as a "lot split," is the legal division of any lot into two or more lots, for the purpose of sale, lease, or financing, now or in the future. Land divisions are regulated by the California Subdivision Map Act and the Ventura County Subdivision Ordinance.

Subdividing land can be a complex and costly process. Before you submit a subdivision application, consult with appropriate local authorities of Ventura County to avoid unnecessary or wasted expenditures. You may request a pre-application review with the Planning Division. When inquiring about a specific property, please be prepared to provide the Assessor Parcel Number (APN) and property address, as this information will be necessary to assist you. Click here to learn more about the pre-application review.

For more information on the subdivision application process, please review the public brochure, How Can I Split My Lot? pdf icon, or contact the Discretionary Permit Coordinator at (805) 654-3635.

What is the procedure for the initial submittal of a Subdivision Map (Tract Map or Parcel map) to Public Works?

The map package is submitted to the County Surveyor's Office where it is logged in and deposit fees are collected. For a checklist of fees and documents required to be included with the initial submittal of a Tract or Parcel Map see the Tract Map/Parcel Map Checklist pdf icon. The map package is then reviewed to ensure that all necessary reference materials are included; i.e. title report, traverse closures, underlying recorded maps, tie notes, deeds, and official records. After the completeness of the map package has been verified it is placed in a queue determined by the date of its receipt where it remains until it reaches the top of the queue and is assigned to an available map checker.  The map checker will examined the map for boundary determination, mapping standards, technical correctness, and compliance with the Subdivision Map Act and local ordinances.  After the map checker’s examination is complete the map checker will write a correction letter and submit it for review by the County Surveyor or an official designee.  Should the County Surveyor deem corrections necessary the map package will be returned to the applicant for corrections and re-submittal.

Who do I contact for map status?

Call Debbie Naves at 805-654-2942 for status updates on your map.

What are the Public Counter hours of service? Phone number? Location?

The Public Counter is open 8:00am to 4:30pm from Monday through Friday. You may contact our public counter staff at (805) 654-2068. The public counter is located in the County Government Center's Hall of Administration Building, at the top of the escalator.

I am a land surveyor with a project in Ventura County. Will you do the research I need and send it (fax it, e-mail it) to me?

No. You must come in and do the research yourself. You are in responsible charge of your map, including research.

Do you issue tract and parcel map numbers?

Yes, we issue tract numbers for the entire county, and parcel map numbers for the unincorporated areas, and for Santa Paula. For parcel maps in other cities, obtain the number from the city.


Dan Walsh
County Surveyor
(805) 654-2089

Debbie Naves
Deputy County Surveyor
(805) 654-2942

April Hernandez
Survey Technician I
(805) 654-2068

Public Counter
Government Center
Hall of Administration,
3rd Floor
8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.
(805) 654-2068